Ok, it is rather easy to pick up a pre-packaged shrimp cocktail at the market. As with most anything pre-packaged, there is a downfall. With shrimp, you often get soggy, limp shrimp that has been sitting for a while.
We had dinner at Jeannine and Clays. She brought out shrimp cocktail for a app and I was sold. No more easy way out. I will always take the extra time and do it right.
- 2 pounds shell-on deveined jumbo shrimp
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup chili sauce
- ¼ cup prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 pinch salt
- Whisk ketchup, chili sauce, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and salt together in a bowl; refrigerate until chilled, at least 15 minutes.
- Peal the shell away and cut the tail off.
- Bring water to a rapid boil in a medium pot.
- Cook the shrimp in the boiling water until they are bright pink on the outside and the meat is no longer transparent in the center, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp to a bowl of ice water and immerse in ice water until cold; drain.
- Arrange cold shrimp on a platter and serve with chilled sauce.
It is fine to leave the tails on, but I just do it this way and have toothpicks, app plates and forks.
Feel free to add a lil more hot sauce and horseradish, to make it spicier. I usually make 2 sauces, one hot and one mild.
Enjoy, Jerry & Roni !!!
Jerry & Roni welcome you to Cooking Life to the Fullest
Living the good life is what it is all about. Spending time with family & friends, Cooking Life to the Fullest, is at the top of our list of favorite things.